Book Review: By Your Side by Kasie West

Title: By Your Side
Author: Kasie West
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication date: January 31st, 2017
Pages: 352
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult, Romance

Add to Goodreads

When Autumn Collins finds herself accidentally locked in the library for an entire weekend, she doesn’t think things could get any worse. But that’s before she realizes that Dax Miller is locked in with her. Autumn doesn’t know much about Dax except that he’s trouble. Between the rumors about the fight he was in (and that brief stint in juvie that followed it) and his reputation as a loner, he’s not exactly the ideal person to be stuck with. Still, she just keeps reminding herself that it is only a matter of time before Jeff, her almost-boyfriend, realizes he left her in the library and comes to rescue her.

Only he doesn’t come. No one does.

Instead it becomes clear that Autumn is going to have to spend the next couple of days living off vending-machine food and making conversation with a boy who clearly wants nothing to do with her. Except there is more to Dax than meets the eye. As he and Autumn first grudgingly, and then not so grudgingly, open up to each other, Autumn is struck by their surprising connection. But can their feelings for each other survive once the weekend is over and Autumn’s old life, and old love interest, threaten to pull her from Dax’s side?

This is a book I was quite hesitant to pick up. Why? Because of the whole "being trapped in a library" situation. Now, understand me right! I would not mind being trapped in the library with a hot someone, but I was worried it would get boring real fast. Luckily, that was not the situation!

Kasie West delivered a fluffy romance with an intense storyline and intriguing characters. She brought us a main character that was real. A character I think that people can relate to - in one way or another. She brought us a main character with a supportive family. A family that she could count on. I think that was a big key point in this story, because it's not every day you see supportive families like Autumn's.

I also want to acknowledge Dax. In the synopsis, he's described as trouble. The one who doesn't give a rat's ass about anyone but himself. For me, he was neither of those things. He was never rude or obnoxious towards Autumn, and that is what I loved! He wasn't your typical bad boy that would say the meanest thing to it's love interest.

As much as I'd like to add this book to my favourites, I can't. As I mentioned in the beginning, this is not about two people being stuck in a library. Only 1/4 of the book is evolved around that situation. So if you dive into this book, thinking you'll jump into a booklover's dream, then I am afraid you'll be highly disappointed. The main characters show no interest in the books - at all. There is just no bookish about this book at all. Apart from the fact that it's a book.

One thing I did not buy, was the fact that they had been locked in a library. It was hard for me to believe that they were actually stuck. I found it weird that there were no emergency exit, no landlines, no access to the computers. None of it seemed real to me, and that really threw me off. It made the story seem less believable, and to me it ruined a part of my reading experience.

And her friends? Like, come on! That part honestly pissed me off, because Autumn's "friends" were the worst. It's one thing to ditch her at the library. But they actually forgot her! If that doesn't explain how shitty her friends was, I don't know what will.

Even though there were a few things I disliked with this book, I'll still end up giving it a rather good rating simply because I enjoyed this book a lot. I managed to look past most of it's errors as I was reading. So all in all, it was still a wonderful read and I'd highly recommend it. Just don't think that you'll read a book about every booklover's wet dream!

Ingen kommentarer