Mini Book Review: Slagside by Heidi Saevareid

Title: Slagside
Author: Heidi Saevareid
Publisher: Gyldendal
Publication date: 2016
Pages: 268
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance

Add to Goodreads

What do you do if you want to run away from yourself?

I'm one of those that never find the right words, one of those that freeze up, one of those that feels the rage building up inside of me, but never do anything about it, I just run away, I am so mad, I'm a coward, so much of a coward that I deserve to suffer the consequences.

Vilde goes to Bristol to take a year off school. She leaves everything behind in Norway, including her boyfriend Markus. In Bristol, she joins the martial art, Krav Maga and that's where she meets the weird and manipulative Fiona. It's an acquaintance that is destined, and it pushes Vilde into a corner.

A harsh and well-written novel about trying to live with yourself and your wrongdoings.

A copy was given to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Slagside is an intense story about Vilde who takes a year off school to go and visit her sister in Bristol. While that year is supposed to be about her and finding herself, but it all takes a whole different turn when she meets Fiona. A girl who gives the word 'complicated' and 'manipulative' a whole new meaning.

Vilde is a strong girl, both physically and and mentally. That is not without reason. She has been through hell and back, and her pervious relationship really affected her. And meeting Fiona on top of that, does not help her cause. What seems like an innocent start of a friendship, turns out to be something much more darker than that.

This is such a hard book for me to review, because I have no idea what to write. This book was well written. The author managed to drag forward the main character's feelings and inner dilemmas. Because that's what this book really was: an inner dilemma. I felt like there was so many questions, unanswered. There were moments where I questioned if the main character really was the good guy. I wondered what was really going on with her and what made her snap? I guess I'll never know.

When it comes to the ending of the book, I was actually a little shocked. I did not expect it to end like it did.

The reason I did not give it a better review is because I had a hard time getting into the book. There were moments that was extremely boring, and I lost concentration. The book couldn't hold my attention for long, and it made it a drag to get through.



Ingen kommentarer