Book Review: The Demon Hunters by Sissel Chipman

Title: The Demon Hunters (Stone Circle Series #6)
Author: Sissel Chipman
Publisher: Gyldendal
Publication date: 2015
Pages: 424
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Action

Add to Goodreads

Julie is a shapeshifter. She can transform into a black panther, and she wants to travel to other worlds where there are more shifters like here. And she wants to bring Henrik along. But he has decided to never use is ability to shift into a wolf, ever again. Julie can't accept that, so she opens a portal and sets out on another journey. She is aware how dangerous it is, and she knows that if she continues to travel she will one day not be able to travel back home. But she knows that THIS journey will not be her last.

And when she's gone, Henrik has to make an impossible choice. He is the only one who knows where she went, and he is risking his own life if he follows her.

Two young people, manipulating elves, simple-minded knights, vulnerable unicorns and life threatening shape shifters - an exciting, action filled and a notch more violent fantasy novel by Sissel Chipman.


A copy of this book was sent to me through the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Disclaimer: Before I began reading "The Demon Hunters", I had no idea it evolved around characters from a book series. Yes, I know. What was I thinking? Well, that's the thing: I wasn't. And that has resulted in me giving it a low rating. I couldn't get attached to the characters, and there were certain times where I wish I knew what had happened earlier, what kind of moments the characters were referring to.

My first problem with the book, was the main character: Julie. If I'm going to be honest: she behaved like a spoiled brat. The choices she made throughout the book was irrational. There were moments where I wish I could jump into the book and shake some sense into her. She was indeed a frustrating character. Luckily, in the last parts of the book, she started to grow on me. Her behaviour changed, and I actually started to like her.

Another character I did not like (surprise, surprise) was Henrik. At some point throughout the book, I did like him. But it was really hard to look around all his whining. He always whined about something, and it usually had something to do with Julie or his shapeshifting ability. I'm sorry, but if I could shape shift, the last thing I'd to is whine about it. I guess what Julie and Henrik lacked, was genuinity. They didn't feel real to me, which is why I didn't like them. 

There was however a character that I did like. And that was the elf, Calum. And no, it's not because he was an elf. Well, maybe it was one of the reasons. Another reason why i liked him was because he was a decent characters. He had this interesting and mysterious side that I liked really well. What can I say: I like a good mystery. 

When it came to the content in story line, it was boring. I had to lay down the book several times due to the slow pace. I just couldn't get into it. It felt like everything was in slow motion, until the last 150 (+/-) pages or so. That's when thing started to get interesting, and the story line took an interesting turn. I actually started to get more invested in the characters and I things were happening. That is what saved the book from getting an even worse rating.

Even though I did not like the book, I would recommend reading it. Just don't do what I did. Read the first books in the series first, before you start to dive into this one. Because if you like shape shifters, elves, unicorns and a middle-aged setting then this book is definitely something for you. 


Ingen kommentarer