Book Review: Feed by Mira Grant

Title: Feed (Newsflesh #1)
Author: Mira Grant
Publisher: Orbit
Publication date: May 1, 2010
Pages: 599
Genre: Horror, Science Fiction, Fiction

Add to Goodreads

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we created something new,  something terrible that no one could stop.

The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, bloggers Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives—the dark conspiracy behind the infected.

The truth will get out, even if it kills them.

Here's the thing: large books scare me. The reason being that every large book I've read, has never managed to peak my intrest for long. And that is what happened her. I read about 420 pages before I said enough. I just couldn't do it anymore. So I read the three last chapters just so I'd know how the book ended.

I did not hate the book completely. What I liked about Feed was the whole idea. I have never read a book quite like this one. The main reason I think I managed to stick around for so long was because of Grant's writing style. I enjoyed it a lot. She managed to write some really good action scenes, and knew when to add action so the audience wouldn't get bored.

Another thing I really liked was Georgia's and Shaun's realationship. I have somewhat of a similar realationship with my little sister, and it was fun to see two siblings being close. I don't feel like I see enough of that in books, which was another positive factor. Apart from Georgia and Shaun, there were several other characters I really enjoyed learning about. They all had their own unique characteristics, which made them both likeable and hated at some parts.

Though I did enjoy the writing, there were a few parts I didn't like. For example the constant reminder of Georgia's illness. Apparently she had this illness called Retinal Kellis-Amberlee. Some sort of virus that was caused by the zombie infection. It made her really sensetive to the light. And let me tell you, she never made us forget it. It was mentioned so often, it actually got on my nerves on some part. And it made Georgia seem more like a whiney person. It ruined my view on her.

And then there was the blood tests. I get it, it's the zombie apocalypse. But does it have to be mention every second how tiring it was and how much it was disliked by everybody? I get it, the blood tests are awful. But just take them and get them over with.

One thing I really missed about this book was the zombies. This is a zombie book, am I right? But there were barely any zombies in it. There were a few zombies here and there that went on a killing spree, but that was it. I wish we had gotten a more background story around them and the virus. We got a few insights now and then but for me that wasn't enough.

The book wasn't sufficient enough for me. There were too many holes that was half filled, and i just wish I had gotten more out of it so I had managed to finish the last 150 pages instead of feeling the need to skip to the end.

I am still considering buying the second book, since I want to continue the story and know what happens with the remaining characters.


Ingen kommentarer