Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Publication date: January 3, 2012
Pages: 395
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction

Add to Goodreads

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

When I first dived into Cinder, I had gotten the impression that The Lunar Chronicles was a series based around the same universe, with different characters for each book. Apparently, I was wrong - on some parts. After doing some digging, it seems like we will indeed meet other fairytale princesses, but we will also continue Cinder's story which I am really happy about. I'm not ready to let her go.

“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

This book set's place in New Bejing, where humans and cyborgs live side by side. Though, that does not mean they are seen as equals. As I understood while reading this book, cyborgs are part human part machine. The reason being that some of their "human parts" has been replaced. To me, this was such an interesting concept. It really put the whole science in Science Fiction.

“I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.”

Cinder, our badass main character. I adored her. She came of as such a genuine person, even after all the shit she has been through. I was afraid that she would end up being one of those heroines that has the "screw it, screw you, screw them" attitude, but I couldn't be more wrong. Marissa managed to write a character I really liked, someone I actually wanted to know more about.

“Prince Kai! Check my fan, I think I'm overheating.”

Another person that applied to, was Kai. I have no words. I think I might be in love. No scratch that, I am in love. It was such a pleasure getting to know him. He was the perfect gentleman. Not dealing with another prick of a prince was a delight. The choices he made, the way he acted around other people, it was like he came to life right in front of my eyes. For once we got a decent person and a perfect love interest for the main character. But the best part: NO LOVE TRIANGLE!

“Do your kind even know what love is? Can you feel anything at all, or is it just... programmed?”

I also got the pleasure to meet loads of other characters, all of them which Marissa managed to capture quite well. Some of them I loved, some of them I disliked, but they all served a purpose to this book which I find to be an amazing quality. Supporting characters are just as important as main characters.

“She briefly wished she did have some sort of magic so she could shoot a bolt of lightning through his head.” 

There were two things I did not like about this book, the first thing being how predictable it was. I had already figured out some of the main plot twists in the book when I was just a hundred pages in, which was a real let down. When certain twists were revealed, I just sat there, nodding. I didn't gape or throw the book out the window, which really says it all. The second thing, was the world building. It was weak. At some points, I had a hard time imagining where I was. In Science Fiction, world building is so important! I want to be able to "see" where I am when I read. I want to jump right into the authors world. And that was something I found difficult while reading Cinder.

“We all have our weaknesses.”

All in all, this was an amazing book! If you are looking for a good re-telling, without all the cliche stuff, then this is the one book for you! You get way more than you bargain for. This is a series I am excited to jump back into once I purchase the rest of the books.


Ingen kommentarer