Book Review: Enrule by Holly Sparks

Smiley face
Title: Enrule
Author: Holly Sparks
Publisher: unknown
Publication date: December 20th, 2015
Pages: 214
Format: Paperback, bought
Genre: Fantasy, Dystopian, Young Adult


Add to Goodreads

I remember waking to the scream. 

I remember calling my sister's name. 

I remember seeing the blood smeared along the staircase. 

I remember the creature's green eyes. 

They say there's a cure. They say there's a way to stop this madness, a way to stop the hunger.

I think they're lying.

My name is Ella, and this is my story.

I will be honest: I expected more from this book. After reading a more detailed description of the book, I just knew I had to get it - especially since it seemed like a perfect dystopian book for me to read. It was exactly what I was craving - zombies and swords. When I first dived into the book, I knew something was off. I couldn't quite get into the book. I was trying really hard to find out what it was, and as I got halfway through the book I realized what it was - Holly's writing style.

Understand me right. I'm in no way judging Holly's writing or saying that she is a bad writer. There's just something that is off about her writing. Something that I did not enjoy. For example(no spoilers), one part in the book someone says: "I don't know, Ella." Then, three sentences later: "I really don't know, Ella." There were a lot of repetitions that really wasn't necessary. But there was one part that sent me straight out laughing. And that was when Ella thought/said "Oh no he doesn't!" and I imagined the finger sapping and her head going to side to side. It was just hilarious.

Another issue I had with this book was how fast everything went. This is an issue I run into with almost every book I read, the authors seems in such a hurry to get to the good stuff and that is totally fine. I get that. But for me, it ruins the reading experience. I feel like I don't get enough time to know the characters and the world that surrounds them. Everything was so rushed. Things happened on almost every single page, there was no time to breath, no time to really get to know the characters. I wish there was more pages to to get to know Ella and how great (but reckless) she really is. I want to see her and a certain character's relationship evolves. I want to get to know her friends more. There is just so much more I wish I could have gotten out of this book.

But then again, this book is filled with potential. The story is great and really catchy, which makes me crave for more. I'm really looking forward to read more and I hope I get to know the characters a lot better, get to learn more about the outside world and the zombies. I really liked the fact that Holly came up with her own type of zombies. It was really interesting to read that there was way more too them than they thought. All in all, it's a really great book even though it has it's flaws!





Ingen kommentarer